Frequently Asked Question about Voice Biometrics
Can someone mimic or record my voice and get a passing score?
This is extremely unlikely. A person voice is unique to them. And while some professionals and comedians might seem to sound like someone else, Voice biometrics engine measures and score vocal characteristics that a human being cannot hear (or recreate). Further, many clients applicants use random prompting techniques to help eliminate prior knowledge of what will be requested.
If I have a cold or allergies, can I still be verified?
Yes. The Voice biometrics engine models different vocal features. Our scoring system models and scores each and every feature individually and adds them up into a composite score. So, if there are small changes to a few features, such as might occur with cold or allergies, the overall score can still be accurate and the user verified.
How does background noise affect system performance?
In most cases, audio analysis and filtering tools can handle background noise, allowing our voice biometrics engine to process samples without issues, when noise levels are too high however, our service responds back to the client application so that it can re-prompt the user accordingly. As a general rule, users should avoid loud and noisy environment. Users should avoid loud and noisy areas that are crowded (sporting events, bars, concerts, Movie Theater, railway station, etc.) as there will be too much audio information for the biometrics engine to reliably process.
Is Voice Biometrics admissible in court of Law?
There are instances when the police has brought the evidence against the accused without any duress. In the case R.M. Malkani V. State of Maharashtra, it was held that, the tape recorded conversation is admissible provided that the conversation is relevant to the matters in issue, that there is identification of the Voice and that the accuracy of the conversation is proved by eliminating the possibility of erasing the tape record. A contemporaneous tape record of a relevant conversation is a relevant fact and is admissible under S.8 of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872. It is also admissible under S.7 of the evidence Act.
Sec 80.C: Voice is a valid evidence in the Court of Law, but is insufficient to conclude a capital punishment.
Voice Biometrics is being heavily used by Law Agencies and Forensic Professionals, Voice biometrics is one of the technique used by forensic agencies to identify terrorist in 26/11 case.
Can Voice Biometrics be used for Financial Transaction?
According to RBI Circular No: RBI/2010-2011/217 DBOD. No. BL.BC.43; Sep 28, 2010, Identity verification for any form of Transaction should include the following:
- Implement a minimum of 4 Digit Customer mPIN (6 Digit mPIN is Desirable)
- Protect the mPIN using end to end encryption
- Do not allow mPIN to be clear text anywhere in the Network, Authenticate the mPIN in tamper-resistant hardware such as HSM
- A second factor of authentication security as a second factor can be of the choice of the Bank.
Why should I use Voice Biometrics?
Some of the advantages of Voice Biometrics include:
- User-Friendly: speaking is natural and requires no special effort like remembering PIN's/Passwords.
- Cost effective: verification is accomplished via telephone, mobile, No Need for last mile devices.
- Convenient: enables remote verification of a person’s identity.
- Liveliness Test:In case of other biometrics, liveliness test is generally not feasible, With Voice Biometrics liveliness test is a part of the solution.
Are there any ISO Standards for Voice Biometrics?
ISO standards for Voice Biometrics are slated to be released in the year 2014. Moreover Standards for any form of biometrics covers the following parameters:
- Easy substitution of biometric technology or technology providers.
- Easy integration of multiple biometric using the same interface.
- Safety and Secured of the database being stored.
Why Voice Biometrics has not been used as part of the UID?
Public deployment of Voice biometrics started in the year 2008, by them UID has already been conceptualized. Secondly the purpose of UID is to use Biometrics to augment Physical identification by an Agent. Most of the scenario where Voice Biometrics can be used requires remote identification and verification.
What is the accuracy of InCights Biometrics Engine?
Accuracy of a Biometrics Engine is the function of the threshold score, Pattern matching score above which the identity of the person is considered to be true. Threshold score is dependent on the application and context in which it is being used.